Monday, October 09, 2006

Golfing in Taiwan

Waiting on the First Hole


One of the things we miss about Vancouver is being able to golf regularly. If you live in Canada and like to golf, you should be thankful that there are so many nice golf courses that are relatively inexpensive. In Taiwan, it seems that all of the golf courses are private and quite expensive. Not only do you have to pay for the green fees, but it is mandatory to rent a cart and hire a caddy.

Since coming to Taiwan, Anting and I have been to the driving range in our neighbourhood a couple of times, but have not, until now, had the opportunity to go golfing. Of course with Anting pregnant, she has not been able to go to the driving range or golfing.

I was fortunate to land a job that has a golfing team. Not only do they go out once a month, but the firm pays for half of the expense. This makes it amount to about $60-80 CDN that I have to pay and makes it worthwhile to go. Not only do they pay for half of the expenses, they pay for a nice dinner and give out prizes at the end of the round.

I went for my first round last weekend at the Chang Gong course that is fairly close to where we live. The course was very well maintained and quite beautiful. The weather was excellent, with it not being too hot, and my game, as per usual, was not very good.

There was about 20 of us altogether, 7 or 8 from the firm and the rest spouses and clients. I managed to straighten out my driver and had some really good drives, but my usually solid short game failed me. It was somewhat weird being driven around by a caddy and having her select my clubs and clean them after taking each shot, but I soon got used to it.

While it was just like any other golf course, there were a few differences. For example, a few of the hazards on the first hole were graves. I shot out of bounds into an elaborate one and had to take a stroke. There was also a temple on the 7th hole to get your last minute praying in. Finally, much to my chagrin, there were no hot dogs.

Overall it was a great experience and I hope I can participate in next month's round, but might be a little busy with our new baby arriving.



What? The second par 5 and its only the second hole!


No Hot dogs after the 9th Hole?



Need to pray before your shot?


Sand Trap and water hazzard


Gravesite near Tee

No comments: